Sunday, March 21, 2010

In Which Sadako Dorks Out (or My Ten Minutes with Peter Lerangis)

Ann M. Martin is the creator of the BSC franchise. But the heart and soul of the BSC is definitely Peter Lerangis, who did a book signing here in Manhattan Sunday afternoon along with a bunch of other YA writers.

As you guys may know, Peter Lerangis not only ghostwrote for the BSC, he got the juiciest books. The books where Stacey McGill pulls a Diana Ross and distances herself from the club. The book where Kristy and Bart toyed with taking their relationship to the next level (featuring a realistic teen makeout session that made MJ and Lisa Marie's look torrid). And my all time favorite, Mary Anne's Makeover, the book that (along with Natalie Imbruglia circa Torn and Mia Farrow circa Rosemary's Baby) convinced me, several times, that I could pull off a pixie 'do.

The best part? Peter Lerangis is into the BSC blogosphere, and even knows and likes my blog. Later that afternoon at home I totally geeked out like Ryce in Beethoven, screaming, "He knows my name, he knows my name" while my stuffed bears stared glassy-eyed at me.

http://personal5.iddeo.es/mmoreira/images/braces/beethoven.jpg

Fun facts? Peter's favorite characters were Stacey and Claudia.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510Y7lofNlL.jpg

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n28/n140690.jpg

The book I got signed was a copy of his newest book, WTF, as well as a copy of an old book, Spy X: Hide and Seek (sent to me by the lovely and talented Nikki of Are You There, Youth, It's Me, Nikki).

I am not worthy! I am not worthy!

Stay tuned for another full post tomorrow! Possibly another Movie in a Minute.